Sugru is the exciting new self-setting rubber that can be formed by hand. It moulds like play-dough, bonds to almost anything and turns into a strong, flexible silicone rubber overnight.
Developed by a team of product designers and material scientists, sugru's patented technology is unique in its combination of hand-formability, self-adhesion and flexibility when cured. It feels like modelling clay, and it's that easy to use too. Once cured, its durable properties mean it's comfortable in extreme environments from the dishwasher to the ocean in Antarctica.
What is Sugru?
- Hand formable: Sugru can be formed and shaped by hand for up to 30 minutes once it has been removed from its packaging.
- Sticks to almost anything: sugru is designed to stick to as many other materials as possible. It forms a strong bond to aluminium, steel, ceramics, glass, wood and other materials including some plastics like perspex and ABS and rubbers like silicone and butyl rubber.
- Air cures at room temperature: Sugru is like modelling clay when you take it from its pack. Once it's exposed to air, it cures to a tough flexible silicone overnight using the moisture in the air. Working time = 30 mins. Cure time = 24hrs (3-5 mm deep)
- Strong + durable = great outdoors: Sugru is strong and durable. Once cured, it will also stand up to anything the weather throws at it, wet or dry, hot or cold it will be great. It also won't fade in the sun and it's fine with sea water too!
- Flexible when cured: When sugru cures, it's flexible rather than rigid. Which means that you can repair things that need to be able to move like textiles, cables, or shoes. It's also electrically insulating - how awesome is that?
- Soft touch & grippy: As sugru is a silicone rubber, it feels soft to touch when it has cured, but is also grippy. This makes it perfect for handles and grips as it is comfortable but non-slip.
- Stable at high and low temperatures: Sugru is resistant from -50°C to +180°C. It gets hot and cold but it won't get softer or harder or melt.
- Waterproof: Once it's cured, sugru is pretty much like other silicones - so it's completely waterproof. It's easy to clean with soap and water, and it's durable in the harsh conditions of your washing machine and dishwasher, and even in the sea.
- Removable: Once cured, sugru can be removed by cutting it off with a sharp knife. Remove any residue with fingernails and tissue paper. (from non-porous materials)
Sugru can be mixed to produce an endless range of colours either to add flair or match the colour of an object you're fixing, check out this nifty chart: